The Walt Disney World Railroad in Disney's Magic Kingdom has been closed now since December…
What everyone wants to know is: “What rides and attractions are open in Disney World now that the parks have opened back up?”
We’ve now had some time to visit the parks since reopening, and this list will give you some insight into what we can expect to experience when you visit Walt Disney World. In this post we have the Full List of Disney World Attractions, Entertainment and Shopping that are currently open and what’s missing still..
Make sure to read our Walt Disney World Reopening Guide for more info on everything else you need to know before visiting.
More Canceled Entertainment & Shows Returning to Disney World
You probably have already heard of the dozens of Disney World shows and entertainment that were canceled over the last year or put on hold for a future date. Well, that time is coming as Disney has announced more canceled shows and entertainment coming to Disney World this Summer!
Earlier this year we got back some of our favorite Disney World shows like ‘Festival of the Lion King’ at the Animal Kingdom and the nighttime fireworks shows ‘Happily Ever After’ and ‘EPCOT’ Forever at the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.
Now Disney is bringing back some of the other long-missed entertainment options. Here are the details:
Wonderful World of Animation (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) – This is the first nighttime spectacular to come back to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. It is returning August 1 with projection mapping technology that transforms the park’s iconic Chinese Theater and takes guests on a journey through more than 90 years of Disney animation.
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (Disney’s Magic Kingdom) – Opening August 8, this classic attraction in Tomorrowland will reunite guests with the monsters of comedy in Monstropolis including the one and only Mike Wazowski.
Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) – Starting August 15, Beauty and the Beast return to the stage at the Theater of the Start on Sunset Boulevard. The show is the same as before and features your favorite scenes and music from the film.
Turtle Talk with Crush (EPCOT) – This kid-favorite show featuring Crush from ‘Finding Nemo’ is back starting August 21.
All of these shows are a huge boost to the parks and it means that we are another step closer to having a full slate of entertainment in the parks once again.
Stay tuned as we will keep you updated as more shows come back to Walt Disney World.
(NEWS 6/23/21) Pre Shows Return to Disney World Attractions
Over the last few months more and more experiences have returned to Walt Disney World, and now we have even more great news to share with you as pre shows have returned to some of the most popular attractions.
Here is a list of the pre-shows that have returned as of this writing:
- Dinosaur (Animal Kingdom) – Previously the room with the movie explaining your mission was empty and you walked through. Now the pre-show film has returned and you get the usual film with Dr. Marsh and Dr. Seeker.
- Avatar Flight of Passage (Animal Kingdom) – The decontamination room is back and guests are scanned as usual during the pre-show.
- Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom) – The “Stretching Room” is back as one of the best effects in Disney imagineering.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (Hollywood Studios) – The cute Mickey & Minnie short before the last section of the queue is back as well as the explosion effect in the wall.
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (Hollywood Studios) – Areosmith is back in the pre-show and you now have free back stage tickets to the show!
- Test Track (EPCOT) – The design station are is now open again so have fun building your dream car.
- Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios) – This pre-show with Rod Sterling is one of the most timeless in any Disney World ride and really gets riders scarred before plummeting 13 stories.
When the Disney World theme parks reopened most of the attractions came back without their respective pre-show areas. At that time Disney was enforcing a strict 6-foot physical distancing guideline and it was just not possible to fit people safely into those thighs spaces.
However, since the CDC recommendations have changed and Disney has essentially eliminated physical distancing in the parks, there is no reason to keep the pre-shows empty.
This is obviously a huge positive for the attractions as the pre-show areas are extremely important in setting the stage for the story of what you are about to experience next. The Tower of Terror and The Haunted Mansion are great rides, but you aren’t pulled into the story nearly as much without going through the full experience in the pre-show room first.
We’ll continue to update you as more pre-shows reopening in rides across Walt Disney World. Stay tuned for more soon.
(NEWS 5/8/21) Festival of the Lion King Returns to Animal Kingdom
Great news for the Disney World theme parks as one of the most popular shows has returned. Starting May 8, “Festival of the Lion King” at the Animal Kingdom is back, though with some slight changes.
The “Festival of the Lion King” show is now presented in a modified format at the Harambe Theatre. The show has a new title “A Celebration of The Festival of the Lion King,” signifying the slightly reduced performance guests will see.
Adjustments have been made both on the stage and backstage including updates to the choreography of the show to allow for proper physical distancing.
It took months, but Disney has got performers involved with the show up to speed on all the new changes and they are doing an amazing job.
Seating for the audience has also been adjusted as is the case with other theater experiences throughout the resort.
All of the hit songs from the Festival of the Lion King are back such as “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King,” “Be Prepared,” “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” and “Circle of Life”
Entertainment options have been slim since July when the parks reopened so it’s highly encouraging to see one of the most popular shows in Disney World come back. Just being back with Simba and friends is another step back to normalcy.
Disney has indicated that this will be just one of the entertainment options coming back to Walt Disney World and more shows both at the Animal Kingdom and other parks should be coming shortly after.
We will update you on more of these experiences as soon as they are announced.
List of Open Disney World Attractions, Entertainment, and Shopping
REMEMBER: This list of attractions can change as the reopening moves ahead. Some missing attractions will eventually be added, but some might get removed too. So far this is the official list.
Disney’s Magic Kingdom Reopened July 11, 2020.
- “it’s a small world”
- Astro Orbiter
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (Reopening August 8)
- Liberty Square Riverboat
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Swiss Family Treehouse
- The Barnstormer
- The Hall of Presidents
- The Haunted Mansion
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover
- Tom Sawyer Island
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
- Main Street Philharmonic
- Character Cavalcades throughout the day, with Guest-favorite Disney friends appearing along the parade route—which will include:
- The Royal Princess Processional
- Mickey & Friends Cavalcade
- Fantasyland Friends Cavalcade
- A Goofy Cavalcade
- Tinker Bell & the Lost Treasure
- Happily Ever After (Closing September 29)
- Disney Enchantment (Debuting October 1)
- Arribas Brothers
- Baby Care
- Big Al’s
- Box Office Gifts
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin Photos
- Crystal Arts
- Fantasy Faire
- Hundred Acre Goods
- Island Supply by Sunglass Hut
- Main Street Confectionery
- Memento Mori
- Mickey’s Star Traders
- Plaza del Sol Caribe Bazaar
- Rubio Arts
- Sir Mickey’s
- Splashdown Photos
- Strollers & Wheelchairs
- The Chapeau
- Tomorrowland Light & Power Co.
- TTC Cart / Wheelchairs
- Uptown Jewelers & Cinema
- Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade
- Main Street Vehicles
- Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Let the Magic Begin
- Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire
- Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party
The majority of attractions are open in the Magic Kingdom with Enchanted Tales with Belle being the biggest one remaining closed at this time.
It’s exciting to see Happily Ever After now back as an evening without fireworks at the Magic Kingdom just didn’t feel right.
Character Cavalcades however are present throughout the day and give guests a great opportunity to still see their favorite characters, even if it’s not in the traditional way they are used to.
More Reading: Best Magic Kingdom Rides & Attractions Guide
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Reopened July 11, 2020.
- Affection Section
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Discovery Island Trails
- Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
- Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
- It’s Tough to be a Bug!
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Maharajah Trail
- Na’vi River Journey
- The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
- The Oasis Exhibits
- TriceraTop Spin
- Wilderness Explorers
- Wildlife Express
- Animal Encounters: Winged Encounters – The Kingdom Takes Flight
- Character Cruises throughout the day, with Guest-favorite Disney friends appearing in boats around Discovery River—including the following:
- Discovery River Character Cruise
- Discovery Island Drummers
- Donald’s Dino Boat Bash!
- Mickey & Friends Flotilla
- Festival of the Lion King
- Africa Hub Cart
- African Heritage Wood Carving
- Baby Care
- Chester and Hester’s Dinosaur Treasures
- Discovery Trading Company
- Garden Gate Gifts & Strollers
- Kilimanjaro Safari Cart
- Mandala Gifts
- Mombasa Marketplace
- Out Of The Wild
- Serka Zong Bazaar
- The Dino Institute Shop
- The Boneyard
- Primeval Whirl (Permanently Closed)
- Disney KiteTales (Opening October 1)
- Finding Nemo – The Musical
- Rivers of Light: We Are One
- Tree of Life Awakenings
- UP! A Great Bird Adventure
Not too many surprises at the Animal Kingdom. With Festival of the Lion King now back we are still waiting for Finding Nemo – The Musical to return, though it doesn’t have a date at this time.
Consistent across all parks is the lack of nighttime entertainment, and “Rivers of Life: We Are One” has been shelved permanently and we are waiting for the Tree of Life Awakenings.
- More Reading: Best Animal Kingdom Rides & Attractions Guide
EPCOT Reopened July 15, 2020.
- Awesome Planet
- Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along
- Canada Far and Wide
- Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
- Friendship Lagoon Boats
- Frozen Ever After
- Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
- Impressions de France
- Journey Into Imagination with Figment
- Kidcot (modified)
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Reflections of China
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The American Adventure
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush (Reopening August 21)
- Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experience
- America Gardens Theatre Presents… featuring popular EPCOT performers such as:
- Mariachi Cobre
- Character Cavalcades throughout the day, featuring favorite Disney friends traveling around World Showcase promenade—including:
- Frozen Promenade
- Mickey & Friends World Tour
- Princess Promenade
- EPCOT Forever (Closing September 28)
- Disney Harmonious (Debuting October 1)
- African Heritage
- Arribas Brothers
- Art of Disney
- Baby Care
- Canada Cart
- China Kiosk
- Disney Traders
- Galerie Des Halles
- Gateway Gifts
- Glas Und Porcellan
- Karamell Kuche
- La Bottega Italiana
- Mexico Indoor Plaza
- Mission: SPACE Cargo
- Mouse Gear Temporary Location
- Pin Traders – Camera Center
- Port of Entry
- Puffin’s Roost
- Sea Base Alpha Gift Shop
- Strollers & Wheelchairs
- Tea Caddy
- Test Track Simporium
- Wood Carver
- World Traveler
- Advanced Training Lab
- Bruce’s Shark World
- Many of the popular EPCOT performers throughout World Showcase
Again, all the big E-Ticket attractions in EPCOT have reopened. Most of the shows are now back but World Showcase is sure missing all the incredible performers that are usually stationed along the promenade.
- More Reading: Check out our Best EPCOT Rides Guide for a more detailed look at all the attractions in the park, which ones are must-do and which ones to skip.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios Reopened July 15, 2020.
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
- Toy Story Mania!
- Vacation Fun (at Mickey Shorts Theater)
- Walt Disney Presents
- Character Cavalcades throughout the day, with favorite Disney friends appearing along Hollywood Boulevard—including:
- Disney Junior Stars Motorcade
- Mickey & Friends Motorcade
- Pixar Motorcade
- Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage (Reopening August 15)
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Wonderful World of Animation (Reopening August 1)
- Celebrity 5 & 10
- Crossroads of the World
- Dok Ondar’s Den of Antiquities
- Droid Depot Experience
- Droid Depot Store
- In Character
- Legends of Hollywood
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Mickey’s Of Hollywood
- Movieland Memorabilia
- Once Upon A Time
- Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind
- Rock Around The Shop
- Rubio Arts
- Savi’s Workshop – Build Your Own Lightsaber
- Strollers & Wheelchairs
- Tatooine Traders
- The Market
- Tower Hotel Gifts
- Toy Story Mania Shop
- Indiana Jones Stunt Show
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Citizens of Hollywood
- Disney Junior Dance Party
- Disney Movie Magic
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
Of all the parks, Hollywood Studios has been hit the hardest with closed attractions and entertainment. Hollywood Studios is missing 2 huge crowd-eaters in Indiana Jones and Voyage of the Little Mermaid.
I honestly don’t get why the Mickey Shorts Theater, Walt Disney Presents and MuppetVision can all be open, but the rest of the indoor shows can’t. At least keep the outdoor shows.
Even before the closure the Studios had big problems with capacity and not having enough attractions to eat the giant crowds that came for Rise of the Resistance. Judging by how quickly Hollywood Studios park reservations are selling out, that is going to still be an issue.
Hollywood Studios is extremely top-heavy right now and has the best E-Ticket attractions in Disney World, but not much else. Depending on how many people are allowed in the park, Hollywood Studios is going to be the most problematic and an even bigger nightmare to tour after the reopening.
- More Reading: Our Best Hollywood Studios Rides Guide shows a more detailed look at all the attractions in the park, which ones are must-do and which ones to skip.
Overall I’d say the 4 parks have a pretty good lineup of attractions with all the BIG ones already open. Entertainment is obviously getting better with fireworks now back and more shows opening every month.
While we are sad not to have any of the character meets or parades in the parks at this time, to make up for it, look for the various Character Cavalcades that make their way through the parks, giving guests a chance to greet the Disney characters from a safe distance.
Stay tuned for more changes to the Disney World reopening attractions and entertainment list.
If you want the latest Disney World Reopening Updates don’t forget to sign up for our FREE Weekly E-Mail Newsletter. You can sign up here: Join our E-Mail Newsletter
I want to know what you think about the list of Disney World attractions reopening with the parks…
- Which attraction are you most looking forward to riding?
- What is missing from the list you are most upset about?
Let us know in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this article, as always I appreciate it if you’d share it with others via social media. I work hard at making this website into a useful resource for you and your family to plan your visit to the Disney Parks and I hope it can help you! Thanks 🙂