As you know, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is opening up in Disney’s Hollywood Studios on August 29, and with it a Star Wars favorite is coming back too…Darth Vader!
That’s right, Lord Vader himself will be stepping back into the Star Wars Launch Bay on August 29, and will be available to meet guests in a character meet and greet located there. Vader is taking the place of Kylo Ten who has been in the Launch Bay since 2016.
Kylo Ren plays a big part in the timeline of Galaxy’s Edge and is a walk around character and even participates in a show there. For that reason it doesn’t make sense anymore to keep him in the Launch Bay and so Darth Vader will be taking over there instead.
The Darth Vader character meet and greet is only one of the Star Wars experiences you can have in Disney’s Hollywood Studios this Summer and Fall, even outside of Batuu and Galaxy’s Edge. For guests that are “off-planet” there will still be plenty of Star Wars-related things to see and do.
Disney has officially announced the Star Wars attractions and experiences that will still be around outside Galaxy’s Edge once it opens. They are as follows:
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue – This classic ride that’s been in Hollywood Studios in one form or another since 1989 is flight simulation attraction takes guests on multiple and random missions to different planets in the Star Wars universe.
- Star Wars Launch Bay – This multi-sensory space is a must-do for Star Wars fans of all ages with the “Meet the Makers” short film, galleries featuring treasured memorabilia and authentic replicas of Star Wars artifacts, special Star Wars merchandise and opportunities to interact with favorite Star Wars characters like Chewbacca and BB-8. Starting August 29 at Star Wars Launch Bay, you can even have a personal face-to-face encounter with Darth Vader himself.
- Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away – This unique live show experience is presented several times daily at the park’s Center Stage area, bringing to life iconic moments from the saga with compelling film clips, special effects and appearances by favorite Star Wars characters.
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple – In this unforgettable, interactive experience, younglings are guided to the site of a sacred and ancient Jedi temple, where they learn the ways of the Force and face their fears against iconic Star Wars villains, to discover if they have the makings of a true Jedi.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Star Tours takes you to multiple Star Warsdestinations on a thrilling, motion-simulator based adventure across the galaxy, including characters and sequences from the newest Star Wars saga films Star Wars: The Force Awakensand Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular – This stunning nighttime show puts you in the middle of the action of memorable moments from the Star Wars saga, using state-of-the-art projection technology, lasers, lighting, pyrotechnics and other special effects.
Disney is keeping all these existing Star Wars experiences in Hollywood Studios for a couple of reasons. First because Hollywood Studios already has few rides and attractions, and without something else to replace them they can’t get rid of them.
Secondly they are anticipating Galaxy’s Edge to be at capacity often and it only makes sense that since many people are going to be coming to Hollywood Studios with a Star Wars focus in mind, at least there will be some other related options for them to experience while waiting to get to Batuu.
I think long-term some of these experiences will be leaving Hollywood Studios with Galaxy’s Edge coming, and attractions and shows based on different IPs will be replacing them. Especially the real estate that the Star Wars Launch Bay sits on is super valuable and could serve as the starting point to a whole new land. It’ll be interesting to see what Disney ends up doing with it.
I want to know what you think about Darth Vader coming to Hollywood Studios and the other Star Wars entertainment…
- Do you prefer Darth Vader or Kylo Ren in the Launch Bay?
- What should happen to the existing Star Wars attractions and shows?
Let us know in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this article, as always I appreciate it if you’d share it with others via social media. I work hard at making this website into a useful resource for you and your family to plan your visit to the Disney Parks and I hope it can help you! Thanks 🙂
News Source: Disney Parks Blog