Disney has been working on expansions all around the world and we have good news that the Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion has been approved by the local government. Word came last Fall of the $1.4 Billion Hong Kong Disneyland expansion which will start next year and continue until 2023.
The expansion includes:
- A complete overhaul to the Castle and Hub area with New Daytime and Nighttime Spectaculars
- New Frozen-themed Land with most likely 2 attractions at the start
- A whole Marvel-themed Land with 2 new attractions besides the newly opened Iron Man Experience
- New Moana’s Village Festival area with stage shows
- Plus a 3rd Hong Kong Disneyland Resort the “Disney Explorers Lodge” which just opened up last month.
The Walt Disney Company also has recently been trying to increase its share in ownership of Hong Kong Disneyland from the co-ownership it shares with the government. It’s currently up to 48%. However a higher ownership percentage would give Disney more freedom to run the park how they want without going through all the red tape that’s required now. This is a growing trend we’ve seen with Disney in its Paris property as well.
So if you were thinking of a trip to some of the international Disney Theme Parks it may better to wait for Hong Kong and hit Shanghai or Tokyo instead. In a few years though it will be much higher on the to-do list for Disney fans. I can’t wait to see more of the progress when once it starts! What about you?
I want to know what you think about the Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion being approved. Do you have any plans to visit Hong Kong Disneyland in the future? Which part of the expansion do you like most? Let us know in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this article, as always I appreciate it if you’d share it with others via social media. I work hard at making this website into a useful resource for you and your family to plan your visit to Walt Disney World, and I hope it can help you! Thanks 🙂
Photo Credit: Disney Parks Blog